Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Finally! A GREAT homemade Iced Coffee!

It's no secret that my husband and I are coffee "snobs".  We are absolutely in love with good coffee and  espresso based drinks!  Our oldest son loves going to Starbucks as much as we do (he orders his own tall ice water), and our 4.5 month old made his first trip to one when he was just a few days old.  

I often joke with my mom (who is as addicted as we are, so she GETS it), that we could afford a decent vacation every year, if we gave up our coffee habit...but that I am totally okay with giving up a trip, if it means I get a mini vacation each time I get to sip on a latte.  In all honesty though, the cost does add up.  I have often found myself trying to find homemade alternatives, that are as satisfying as my coffee house drinks; the at home versions of lattes, as well as different brew methods have never been just right though.  When it comes to iced coffee, I prefer to drink it black and unsweetened, which means the coffee it self, has no room for error; it has to be just right, since I can't adjust it with cream, sweetner, or flavored syrup.

FINALLY!  I have found my method for a delicious, homemade iced coffee!  This has taken trial and error, and adjustments to recipes I have tried.  This completely satisfies my Starbucks cravings.  This recipe uses the cold brew method, and makes a strong cup, which is great because it can be watered down to meet individual tastes.  It is very smooth, and not as bitter as the hot brew methods I have toyed with.

If you give it a try, let me know how you like it!

Homemade Iced Coffee
Makes about 8 cups (full strength ) or more (if watering down a bit more)

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups ground espresso (I used my grocery store brand, which saves even more price wise!)
  •  8 cups water (I used filtered, for a cleaner taste)
  • Additional water, to taste preferences 

Instructions:

  1. In a large container, stir together coffee and water.
  2. Cover and brew for 24 hours.
  3. Filter the coffee through a strainer lined with a coffee filter and into a pitcher.
  4. Add water to taste now, or leave strong so each drinker can adjust as needed. (I like to add about 1/2 a cup to each cup, while hubby likes about 3/4 water to each cup of coffee)
  5. Refrigerate (which keeps it from getting bitter)
  6. To make a perfect glass of homemade iced coffee:
  7. Fill a tall glass with ice.
  8. Add your coffee, and add water to taste (if needed)
  9. Add in half and half or sweetener if you are like my husband.
  10. Enjoy the smooth and delicious iced coffee (which you made, instead of a barista!)



Espresso, measuring cup for water, and jug to cold brew in. 



All mixed up and ready for the fridge!


Straining the coffee grounds, after 24 hours in the fridge.


Looking good!

And time to enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment