Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Kitchen Spices

Anyone else hate the plastic containers that the spices come in? Sure, you can buy yourself a nice spice rack that comes with the cute glass jars, but what about that special steak seasoning you bought that doesn't have a home on that rack? That ends up sitting in its original container and it just ain't pretty!

A few years ago I went to a bridal shower. The hostess was an interior designer and had a beautiful home. I especially loved the hutch she had in her kitchen. All of her spices and baking supplies were in glass jars and displayed. It's amazing how much you can appreciate your spices when you can actually see how colorful and different each one is! I knew that one day I wanted to recreate that storage system as best I could and I finally took on that project a few months ago.

I work on a budget, so my jars were not high end like her jars were. I purchased the small spice jars from Tuesday Morning for .99 cents each. I had to go to 3 or 4 stores to collect how many I needed, as well as a few extra for any new spices I add later. I bought the larger jars from Ikea for about 5 or 6 dollars apiece. It was more than I normally spend overall on a project, but well worth it.

                                    


                         


I bought labels from Office Depot and hand wrote the name of each spice. I liked the DIY look of the labels over printing them out.

I also bought a few small ceramic spoons from Crate and Barrel. They work perfectly to scoop out the spices. I do want to buy one or two metal scoops from there too for the flour, sugar, and other baking ingredients.

My husband and I just love how it turned out and we find ourselves using spices we had overlooked before. We have also received so many compliments from guests.

                          

What is your current storage system for your cooking and baking needs? If you have anything creative I would love to see!






No comments:

Post a Comment